Classes and Training
SFLC Leadership Institute
The San Francisco Labor Council Leadership Institute is an opportunity for union leaders and staff to gain in-depth practical training that will improve their ability to effectively organize and mobilize for contract, political, community, or new worker organizing campaigns. Participants will gain a strong foundation in organizing and a working knowledge of how organizing can be used in various campaigns and environments. The Institute is an opportunity to gain leadership skills while learning and sharing your experiences with other union leaders through interactive training and field practice. Our end goal is to develop a diverse group of young and new leadership that will put these skills to work building the capacity of both your local union and the San Francisco labor movement.
- Participants receive 3 college credits from City College Labor Studies Program.
- 1:1 Organizing Techniques: How to identify workers’ issues and move them to action.
- Building a worksite structure for contract campaigns, political education and mobilizing and worksite power.
- Leadership Skills: How to run an effective meeting, lobby, speak to press, develop your message, identify and develop new leaders.
- Field projects: Hands-on training, peer evaluation, and skill improvement.
- Simultaneous translation in English, Spanish & Chinese to increase participation and applicant leader pool.
SFLC Leadership Institute Applicants Must:
- Be recommended by their union President or Principal Officer.
- Complete the application and submit it by the application deadline.
- Commit to attending all classes.
- Be an active dues-paying member of a union.
- Shown leadership potential in their local union.
- Commit to work 6 to 8 hours per month following graduation to increase the capacity of your local union and / or the San Francisco Labor movement.
Please contact Amber Parrish Baur at (415) 440-4809 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about getting involved in upcoming Leadership Institute training.